Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Family

So, about 2 weeks ago I moved into my new house in Xalapa, Veracruz. This is where I will stay until I fly home in May. I have my own bedroom at the back of the house and a little bathroom all to myself. The dog lives outside in the yard beneath my window, his name is Symba and he rules the house. My family consists of Margarita, a retired school teacher, and Pepe a painter and business man….they have 2 children but they are all grown up now. I met Jose, their son, last week and he is a studying medicine at the university in town. I haven’t met their daughter Myra yet, she lives pretty far away and is expecting a baby in June. EXCITING.






Margarita and Pepe are really great, we eat most meals together and they have taken me on a few trips around town. My friend Liz comes over a lot and the 4 of us watch TV or just talk. Last week Margarita took Liz and I to a dance class, it was crazy fun but I’m not sure if I have room in my schedule to go very often.




We live in the center of the city and really close to the school when I am taking classes. Right now I have a pretty full schedule (19 credits yikes!)….

Intensive spanish 5
Mexican cultures and civilizations
Prehispanic civilizations
Social problems and social action in Mexico
Contemporary Mexico

None of these classes are particularly difficult yet, the reading takes me a LONG time but maybe in a few weeks it will get easier. I would like to go and visit the bio dept on campus and find out what classes they have….that way other science majors at Juniata would be able to work on their major while abroad….if they want to.


Ive made some good friends from the school in town, but they are all from the US or Canada...for some reason making Mexican friends is a bit harder here than it was in Cuernavaca. I remember rachel talking about how it was hard for her a little while last semester too....maybe with time ill meet more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment